Thursday, March 6, 2014

Supernatural Thoughts: Selfish vs. Douche bag

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion about the show. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but please try to keep the debate civil and respectful. .

One of the hottest topics right now with Supernatural is the heated angst between the brothers, Sam & Dean. Was Dean selfish in his choice to save his brother? Was Sam a douchebag for saying he wouldn't do the same for Dean in the same situation?

Question #1: I believe it is true, Dean was selfish. He didn't want to be alone. He had one job to do and that was to protect Sammy. Wake up Dean, Sam is a big boy now (literally). He really doesn't need his big brother watching out for him anymore. I am big sister myself. I used to be all about protecting my little brother when we were younger. I felt obligated to be my brother's protector. We are both adults now, responsible for our own lives. He chose a bad road. I pray for him and cry for him, but I know he made his own choices, he isn't my responsibility any more. Granted, had Dean respected Sam's wishes to die, there would be no show, but I do believe Dean saving his brother be for his own security and dependence issues.

Question #2: No, Sam wasn't a douche bag for saying he wouldn't do the same for Dean. Sam has always been a respectful, nice, kind hearted person (except when he possessed or soul-less). So, picture Dean in a similar situation as Sam was, in a hospital, on life support (oh wait, wasn't that the beginning of Season 2?  Not too hard to picture, now). Let's say Sam gets a Ouija board out and talks to Dean's spirit and he tells him that its his time go, that he is ready to just die and move on. Do you think Sam would really try to save him? Knowing Sam's outlook on life, what he dreamed about, what he has tried to do in the past. I don't think Sam would try to save Dean after being told he was ready to die. Sam would have respected Dean's wishes, that has a lot to do with being family, respect. My husband has repeatedly told me that he never wants to be put on life support, when its his time he wants to go, don't hold him back. Its hard to let go of someone you love, but you got to do what you feel is the right thing to do and best for the other person. I did notice something in Episode 9.14 -Captives, and this could do a lot to defend Sam's care and concern for Dean, that when Dean called out for Sam at the beginning of the episode, Sam jumped and ran to help Dean, sensing there was something wrong. When he couldn't find Dean for those few moments, he had a sense of panic, worried for his brother. So, Sam isn't against saving/helping Dean if he is in trouble. It's more along the lines of if Dean said he didn't want to be saved, Sam wouldn't try to save him.

We hunger for the sibling love and the rivalry equally. Brothers are going to fight with each other, support each other and care for each other. Its what makes the Winchesters the Winchesters and that's what we love.

Oh the feels!








1 comment:

  1. same opinion here, although i cant compare it with any brothers or sisters, cause i`m an only child. :)

    ReplyDelete